Help shape the future of Washtenaw Avenue & Golfside Road
How should the Washtenaw Avenue and Golfside Road area be redeveloped?
The Golfside/Washtenaw design Charrette was held October 14-16, 2014. Participants worked with local leaders and planning and design professionals to create recommendations for how this area can be redeveloped and revitalized. The charrette is hosted by the Washtenaw County Office of Community and Economic Development as part of the ReImagine Washtenaw project. A final report will be posted in January 2015 of the charrette.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
The charrette was open to all individuals and was held at United Way of Washtenaw County, 2305 Platt Rd. (map).
Public participation was at these times:
- October 14, 4-6 p.m.: Share ideas for the study area
- October 15, 5-7 p.m.: Review and refine the design options
- October 16, 3-4:30 p.m.: View and discuss the preferred option
WHAT IS A CHARRETTE?
A charrette is a community design workshop. It's an an intensive, collaborative and interactive event that brings together design professionals, public officials and staff, and the public to develop a shared vision, plan and design for a particular location.
The Washtenaw Avenue & Golfside Road charrette will create a plan for how the Golfside area could be developed. This plan will consider land use and transit issues, the goals of ReImagine Washtenaw, and market demand for new commercial development and residential housing types.
WHY THE GOLFSIDE AREA?
The ReImagine Washtenaw corridor study identified the area around Golfside Road as a "node" suitable for compact, mixed-use and walkable forms of development. The Golfside area already has some of the highest densities of housing and transit use in Washtenaw County. Using the design and zoning guidelines provided by the study, Washtenaw County is exploring the build-out potential of the Golfside area.
- Event flier for Golfside charrette
- Meeting minutes for land use professionals event, July 31, 2014
- Presentation for land use professionals event, July 31, 2014
- Meeting minutes for owners event, July 30, 2014
- Presentation for owners event, July 30, 2014
- Presentation of target market analysis preliminary findings, July 28, 2014
- Proposal submission: SmithGroup JJR, April 23, 2014
- Request for proposal: Community Design Sessions (Charrettes), April 2, 2014
Nathan Voght, Washtenaw County Office of Community and Economic Development, 734-544-3055
Proposed corridor design for Washtenaw Avenue near
Golfside Road (Corridor Improvement Study, 2014)